A Simple Mediterranean spice-roast chicken
from Hot Hot Hot! By Paul Gayler
(One of our favourite cook books)
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoons cumin seed
- 1 ½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 150ml olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons Harissa paste
- 1 x 1.5kg roasting chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200c
In a large bowl, mix together the coriander, parsley, cumin seed, paprika, turmeric and spice mixture and leave to marinate for 2 hours.
Roast in the oven for 1-1 ¼ hours until the chicken is golden all over and the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted near the thigh bone.
Leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving.
Hot Tip This is nice filled with a fruity couscous stuffing before roasting. Simply cook couscous in some stock to which a little saffron has been added, then mix in some chopped no-need to soak dried figs, prune and apricots, chopped coriander leaves and season to taste.