Chicken Kofta with Date Chutney and Spiced Eggplant
From Best-Ever Recipes, Australian Women’s Weekly.
- ¼ cup (50g) brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 or 2 chilli, finely chopped
- 500g chicken mince
- ½ firmly packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of yellow mustard seeds
- 6 baby eggplants, sliced thickly
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic crushed
- ½ cup water
- 420g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- ¼ cup firmly packed fresh coriander leaves
- ½ cup seeded dried dates, chopped finely
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ chicken stock or ¼ cup water
- Cook rice as per instructions on packet.
- Heat oil in small frying pan; cook onion, garlic and chilli, stirring, until softens. Process onion mixture, chicken mince, rice, coriander, and egg until smooth.
- Shape chicken mixture into 12 patties on tray, cover; refrigerate until required.
- Make spiced eggplant. Make date chutney.
- Cook kofta patties on heated oiled grill plate (or fry pan or barbecue) until brown and cooked through. Serve kofta with eggplant; top with date chutney.
Heat oil in medium saucepan; fry seeds over low heat until fragrant. Add eggplant, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until just softened. Add the stock or water and chickpeas; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; cool then stir in coriander.
Bring ingredients to boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; bend or process until smooth.